Mobility package and capacity
The Mobility Package is the new EU's set of rules for road transport. The mobility package is divided into three «sub-packages», and has been launched in the period 2017 - 2019. Some of the new rules are already applicable but the main part, fundamental to road transport, will be applicable from February 2022.
To name the most important changes within the Mobility Package:
- Stricter rules for cabotage
- Change in the working-hour regulations for drivers
- Introduction of a permit and tachograph in vans
- Obligation to return trucks to the company’s headquarters every eight weeks
- Return of the driver to the country of origin will be mandatory every 4 weeks
- Salaries for drivers for cabotage and third-country driving shall be at the level of the country where the transport is made
- Tightening of the rules for «postal companies»
- Introduction of digital tachograph with GPS in all vehicles from 2023
Changes coming into force from February 2022 mean significant restructuring for the industry. It is positive that the new rules will ensure better working conditions for drivers. At the same time, this will lead to å better competition and make it more difficult for unserious players to operate in the industry. In the near future, we will work with our suppliers to accommodate our operations and systems before the new rules come into force. With the changes, our costs will increase, which may mean a change in the price for our customers.
The transport industry is experiencing major capacity challenges. Increased online retail trade, reduced warehouse capacity in some industries and lack of qualified drivers and warehouse personnel. The pandemic has also led to delays in the delivery of new transport equipment and training of new drivers.
In collaboration with our suppliers and partners, we work hard and continuously to handle the volume for all our customers. Some delays may occur. To minimize the possibility of delays, we encourage our customers to book their shipments early.
Should you need further information, or should you have any concerns or queries, feel free to contact your account manager or customer service representative.
DHL Global Forwarding (Norway) AS
Marius Nordvold Wærpen
Head of Sales & Marketing