HOW TO PREPARE A CLAIM
If the Worst Happens What Should I Do?
- If goods are lost or damaged during transport and damage is externally visible,
note the waybill or transfer document with details of loss or damage when shipment is received
- If the loss or damage is not visible until packages are opened, make a written complaint to the carrier within 7 days of receipt of the goods
- If goods are lost or damaged during transport and damage is externally visible, clearly note the waybill or transfer document with details of loss or damage when shipment is received
Your claim may be submitted in any suitable format but it should include the following information:
- If you have purchased Cargo Insurance from DHL Freight, please provide invoice copy and proof of payment
- Identified transport event
- Transport reference
- Route (from where to where)
- Waybill copy
- When shipment was collected for transport
- When shipment was delivered (if applicable)
- Description of the damaged or lost goods
- Weight of damaged or lost part of goods (actual weight of the goods)
- How and by whom the damage was discovered
- Your contact details
- Photographs of the packaging and the damage to the goods, if possible before unloading when shipment is still in the transport unit (pictures should show damage and if possible cause of such damage)
- Substantiated value including purchase costs, estimate for repair, etc.
Please provide this information and all enclosures to us within 7 days of receipt of the goods.
- Inspect the damaged goods and try to limit any further damages from occurring
- Consider how damage can best be repaired, if possible
- Reserve Insurers right/opportunity to inspect the damaged goods
- Store the damaged goods separately
- Store all packaging material
- Do not transport goods onwards
Discover the latest stories of DHL’s road freight and customs experts.