GREEN TRANSPORTS CRUCIAL FOR THE PRINTING HOUSE
Being able to send green deliveries was important when choosing a transport supplier for DanagårdLitho. That was exactly what decided the choice of DHL Freight.
- Green transports provide environmental benefits and in the long term it is good for both our company and our customers, says Peter Hjelm, CEO of DanagårdLitho.
DanagårdLitho, one of the country's largest graphic producers and printers, is permeated by environmental thinking. All company transports are in turn to be examined. The choice fell on DHL Freight because the logistics company's sustainability work fits well with their own.
One of the reasons why we chose DHL Freight is the option SKICKA GRÖNT, says Peter Hjelm, CEO of DanagårdLitho.
SKICKA GRÖNT is DHL Freight's climate-smart option where customers are offered a fossil-free* transport alternative within Sweden. When customers choose SKICKA GRÖNT, DHL Freight compensates the equivalent tonne-kilometer that the shipment creates with a more expensive climate-smart technology somewhere in its domestic network. The income goes in full to compensate the riders for the additional cost when they invest in climate-smart vehicles and fuels. Now DHL Freight is also doubling its investments; for every krona that customers buy SKICKA GRÖNT, DHL Freight add the same amount until the 31st of December 2020.
Finding out how much they reduce their climate impact
Environmental sustainability has long been a key word at DanagårdLitho. The electricity they use is renewable and comes from their own wind turbines. But the transports, which are an important part of the company, have needed an upgrade.
- Around 2,500 tonnes of paper are transported to and from here annually, so the transports are large. It will be an important environmental goal we will attack with the help of DHL Freight, he says.
The cooperation between the parties began this spring. The goal is that all DanagårdLitho's packages and lots will be sent with SKICKA GRÖNT.
- Many of our customers have an environmental policy with requirements for more sustainable deliveries. Others have requirements for completely fossil-free transport. With DHL Freight, we not only get a more sustainable alternative, but we also get to know how much we reduce the climate impact with each transport - which is good, says Peter Hjelm.
But he also sees other gains.
- It provides environmental benefits and in the long term it is good for both our company and our customers. You do not see the financial gain from day one, but in the long run
both the environment and the company will profit from this.
Helps carriers to adjust
SKICKA GRÖNT is one way for DHL Freight to help carriers invest in better alternatives.
- In order to be able to switch to a sustainable transport system, Swedish hauliers need to be able to make investments in climate-efficient vehicles and fossil-free fuels. But this can be expensive and risky - a climate-smart vehicle can cost up to four times more than a regular one and fossil-free fuels are usually more expensive than fossil diesel. The option SKICKA GRÖNT is created to help Swedish hauliers to adjust. By giving them an extra compensation for the additional cost per kilometer, the rider can recoup a larger investment, says Maria Nilsson Öhman, Sustainability Manager at DHL Freight.
* By Fossilfritt Sverige (Fossil Free Sweden’s) definition. Fuel used for Skicka Grönt during 2020 is electricity, biogas and ethanol.