ADDITIONAL INFORMATION & SERVICES
Shipping charges for DHL eCommerce Solutions International packages are calculated based on the greater of dimensional and actual weight, referred to as Chargeable Weight. This is applicable to all International products and services.
Dimensional weight is based on volume (the amount of space a package occupies). To determine if dimensional weight impacts your package, follow these steps:
- Calculate dimensional weight by multiplying length by width by height of each package (cubic size).
- Divide the cubic size by 166 (if measured in inches) or by 6,000 (if measured in centimeters). This is the dimensional weight of your package.*
- Compare this number with the actual weight of your package.
Charges on your invoice will be based on the greater of the two: total actual weight versus total dimensional weight.
* In accordance with standard industry practice. Chargeable weight is applicable on a per-package basis.
- Calculate dimensional weight by multiplying length by width by height of each package (cubic size).
Here are some examples to help you better understand how dimensional weight works for determining your chargeable weight.
Actual Weight 4 lbs.
Cubic Size Calculation 12" x 12" x 10" = 1,440 cu. in.
Dimensional Weight Calculation 1,440/166 = 8.67 lbs.
Because dimensional weight (8.67 lbs.) is greater than actual weight (4 lbs.), 8.67 lbs. becomes the chargeable weight.
Actual Weight 13.2 lbs.
Cubic Size Calculation 18" x 12" x 6" = 1,296 cu. in.
Dimensional Weight Calculation 1,296/166 = 7.8 lbs.
Because dimensional weight (7.8 lbs.) is less than actual weight (13.2 lbs.), 13.2 lbs. becomes the chargeable weight.
The greater of dimensional and actual weight is the chargeable weight.
DHL eCommerce Solutions utilizes an indexed fuel surcharge that is adjusted monthly, based upon the fuel prices published monthly by the U.S. Department of Energy. Changes to the surcharge will continue to be effective the first day of each month.
Applies to all International mail and parcel products.
The surcharge calculation is linked to the monthly rounded average of the price for a gallon of kerosene-type jet fuel as published by the U.S. Department of Energy using the U.S. Gulf Coast (USGC) prices for kerosene-type jet fuel. DHL eCommerce Solutions applies the monthly rounded average from the period two months prior to calculate the applicable fuel surcharge. For example, the February 2022 fuel surcharge as calculated by DHL eCommerce Solutions was based on the monthly rounded average from December 2021.
To view the current USGC prices for kerosene-type jet fuel go to the .
Fuel surcharges, associated trigger points and basis for calculation are subject to change without notice. The fuel surcharges are applicable to the fuel price ranges shown. If the applicable fuel price(s) published by the U.S. Department of Energy change beyond the displayed DHL eCommerce Solutions fuel surcharge table ranges, the tables will be expanded accordingly.
To view the historic indexed fuel surcharges, please click here.
Terms & Conditions
Please find the DHL eCommerce Solutions Terms and Conditions for your country as PDF download below.
DHL eCommerce Solutions assesses a peak surcharge for packages sent during specified peak timeframes. Surcharges may differ by product. Please refer to the PDF below for details on applicable products, timeframes and surcharge amounts.
Policy On Hazardous Materials
DHL eCommerce Solutions is strongly committed to the safe handling and transportation of dangerous goods. All shipments containing hazardous materials must be properly classified, described, packaged, marked, labeled and in proper condition for transportation.
Please see below for our policies on the shipping and handling of lithium batteries and goods classified under the Other Regulated Materials for Domestic Transport Only (ORM-D)/ Limited Quantity Guidelines. We appreciate your attention to this matter and look forward to continuing to provide you with high-quality service.
DHL eCommerce Solutions accepts Lithium Metal (Primary) and Lithium-Ion (Secondary) batteries for transportation in its domestic network. Please refer to our Battery Shipping Policy for full details.
DHL eCommerce Solutions accepts Lithium Metal and Lithium-Ion batteries and cells that are solely 'Contained within the equipment they are intended to operate' for shipping in its international network under certain restrictions. These restrictions include but aren’t limited to shipments being limited to specific products, services and destination countries. Please refer to the DHL eCommerce Solutions’s Battery Shipping Policy for further details.
DHL eCommerce Solutions only accepts dangerous goods classified under the Other Regulated Materials for Domestic Transport Only ORM-D/ Limited Quantity and Consumer Commodity guidelines that are shipped via our Domestic “Ground” service and to Canada via Parcel Direct (PLT) ground destinations only. Please refer to our ORM-D/Limited Quantity/Small Quantity Quick Reference Guide as well as Read more about , Read more about, and Find out more about for details and guidance. Dangerous goods may NOT be shipped via our Domestic “Expedited” service.
For customers interested in shipping dangerous goods, an approval process is required prior to tendering to DHL eCommerce Solutions. Upon approval, ORM-D/ Limited Quantity goods may be shipped using our Domestic Ground Service, and to Canada via Parcel Direct (PLT) ground destinations only. Please see the Canada Parcel Direct (PLT) Limited Quantity Excluded Zip Code List for a complete list of excluded Canadian zip codes.
To safeguard shipments, customers sending ORM-D/Limited Quantity classified items prior to approval, incorrectly declaring goods, tendering prohibited items or tendering such goods to ship via our Expedited service, may be subject to fines and penalties. Please view our ORM-D/Limited Quantity Policy for information.
DHL eCommerce Solutions does not agree to carry, and will not accept any liability for items which it is not permitted to carry, cannot safely carry, or for any goods described below:
- Goods that are classified as hazardous material, non-approved * dangerous goods, prohibited or restricted articles by IATA (International Air Transport Association), ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization), ADR (European Road Transport Regulation on dangerous goods), DOT (U.S. Department of Transportation), USPS (United States Postal Service), UPU (Universal Postal Union) and any applicable government department or other relevant organization;
- Goods with no customs declaration made when required by applicable customs regulations;
- Goods with defective or inadequate packaging or that cannot be carried safely by DHL eCommerce Solutions;
- For our domestic network, Hemp or Hemp based products that either contain more than 0.3% THC on a dry weight basis, or do not comply with any applicable local, state, or federal laws; all Hemp and Hemp based products in our international network;
- Shipments whose content, exterior design, transport or storage violate a statutory or authorities' prohibition, in particular any export, import or customs law provisions of the countries of origin, destination or transit, or which require special facilities (e.g. for temperature-controlled goods), safety precautions or permits; these include Shipments or goods whose transport is prohibited according to the UPU Acts, and those whose contents legally violate the intellectual property rights of its rightful owner, including counterfeit or unlicensed copies of products (e.g. brand piracy);
- Shipments whose content or exterior make-up could injure or infect persons or cause damage to property;
- Tobacco and tobacco products, including but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, loose tobacco, smokeless tobacco, hookah or shisha;
- Shipments containing alcoholic beverages;
- Shipments which contain live animals or human remains;
- Shipments containing narcotics, nicotine, nicotine compounds, vapor tor psychotropic substances (Shipments containing electronic cigarettes require DHL eCommerce Solutions approval and compliance with applicable requirements);
- Shipments containing electronic cigarettes;
- Non-approved* shipments whose transport and/or storage is subject to dangerous goods regulations; also excluded are all those non-approved* goods which are not completely unrestricted according to the latest IATA and ICAO dangerous goods regulations. In addition, Shippers are required to adhere and comply with the DHL eCommerce Solutions Limited Quantity Policy. The most current version of the DHL eCommerce Solutions Limited Quantity Policy is available here;
- Shipments with an actual value of over USD $2,500;
- Shipments containing cash or other means of payment, precious metals, art work, jewelry, watches, precious stones or other articles of value or securities for which, in the event of damage, no stoppage and no cancellation and replacement procedure can be carried out; for the avoidance of doubt the following valuable goods are exempted from this rule: Shipments using the Registered Mail special service, which contain stamps, telephone cards, vouchers for goods and low-value goods in these classes (e.g. fashion jewelry and promotional articles), up to an actual value of 30 Special Drawing Rights of the International Monetary Fund (SDR) per shipment, and individual tickets and entrance tickets;
- Shipments for which no or insufficient postage has been paid and which are posted with the intention of surreptitiously obtaining the transport service without payment of the remuneration payable for it;
- Firearms (including imitation or replica) or parts thereof, ammunition (including replica), explosives, air guns;
- Explosive, flammable or radioactive materials and non-approved* dangerous goods;
- Shipments that are addressed to natural or legal persons which are enlisted on a sanctions lists which shall be transported to countries for which embargoes are in place;
- Obscene or immoral articles, pornography;
- Other articles the importation or circulation of which is prohibited in the country of destination;
- Lithium batteries that are a) packed with equipment but not installed in equipment, and b) without the equipment they operate (individual batteries) are prohibited from being shipped through the DHL eCommerce Solutions Expedited Max and Expedited network or International network (with the exception of Canada). In addition, Shippers are required to adhere and comply with the DHL eCommerce Solutions Battery Shipping Policy. The most current version of the DHL eCommerce Solutions Battery Shipping Policy is available here;
- DHL eCommerce Solutions does not agree to carry, and will not accept any liability for liquids unless tendered in the below described manner (as noted in the USPS DMM 601.3.4):
Shippers are required to mark the outer container of the tendered mailpiece containing liquids to indicate the nature of the contents.
All shipments containing liquids should be packaged in the following way:
- Use screw-on caps, soldering, clips, or similar means to close the mailpieces containing liquids. Do not use only friction-top closures (push-down types).
- Liquids being shipped in steel pails and drums with positive closures, such as locking rings or recessed spouts under screw-cap closures, may be mailed without additional packaging.
- Glass and other breakable containers of liquid with a capacity of more than 4 fluid ounces must be triple-packaged according to the following requirements:
- Cushion the primary container with material sufficient to absorb all leakage in case of breakage.
- Place the primary container inside another sealed, leak proof secondary container, such as a can or plastic bag.
- Use an outer mailing container that is strong enough to protect the contents.
- Mailers may use containers certified by the International Safe Transit Association (ISTA) that passed ISTA's Test Procedure 3A. Mailers must provide their ISTA 3A Package-Product Certification Notice at the time of mailing as verification that the mailpieces they are submitting passed the required performance test.
All shipments containing liquids are required to be packaged as to ensure safe carriage with ordinary care in handling.
*Approval may be revoked by DHL eCommerce Solutions at any time.
The Shipper, whether principal or agent, warrants to DHL eCommerce Solutions that the content of the Shipment may be lawfully carried aboard airline, aircraft or other federally regulated carriers and is not a Prohibited Good, is properly packaged or sheathed for the purpose if necessary. Shipper further agrees to disclose true and accurate information if requested by DHL eCommerce Solutions. Notwithstanding any other rights of DHL eCommerce Solutions, Shipper shall indemnify and hold harmless DHL eCommerce Solutions from any all claims of third parties that may incur as a result of a transport of Prohibited Goods or other excluded or illegal goods. The contractual liability of DHL eCommerce Solutions on the basis of culpable conduct of DHL eCommerce Solutions or its agents remains unaffected.
Should a Shipment contain a Prohibited Good or should it by its nature (size, format, weight, contents etc.) or in another way not comply with the terms stated herein DHL eCommerce Solutions shall be entitled to: i) refuse to accept the item or ii) return an item which has already been handed over and accepted or hold such an item for collection or, iii) transport the item without notifying the Shipper, using a different route from the agreed route (e.g. overland and by sea rather than by air freight as planned) – should this be necessary and/or statutorily prescribed, and to subsequently request an appropriate additional charges. The same shall apply if the Shipper refuses to provide information at DHL eCommerce Solutions’ request if DHL eCommerce Solutions has the suspicion that a Shipment contains Prohibited Goods or in case of a suspicion about any other breach of contract.
DHL eCommerce Solutions shall not be obliged to inspect the Shipments for any exclusions of transport. However, if DHL eCommerce Solutions suspects that the Shipment may contain Prohibited Goods, DHL eCommerce Solutions shall be entitled to open and check the Shipments. Furthermore, DHL eCommerce Solutions will also undertake regular checks as required by applicable air security regulations. If goods are discovered which may not be transported as air freight as originally agreed or planned or for which there is a well-founded suspicion that they may not be transported as originally agreed, DHL eCommerce Solutions, notwithstanding shall be entitled to transport the goods overland or by sea.
For this policy, “DHL eCommerce Solutions” refers to DHL eCommerce Solutions as carrier and the “Shipper” refers to a customer of DHL eCommerce Solutions that is responsible for initiating a shipment and consigning goods for transportation. When using DHL eCommerce Solutions’s services, Shipper is agreeing, on its behalf or on behalf of anyone else with an interest in the Shipment that this policy shall apply.
“Shipment” means all documents or parcels that travel under one BOL and may be carried by any means DHL eCommerce Solutions chooses, including air, road or any other carrier. A “BOL” shall include any label produced by DHL eCommerce Solutions automated systems, DHL eCommerce Solutions approved third party vendor system, Bill of Lading, electronic shipping manifest, driver summary manifest, or consignment note and shall incorporate these Terms and Conditions.
A Shipment is considered as undeliverable if (i) the Recipient's address is incomplete, illegible, incorrect or cannot be located, (ii) the Shipment is unable to clear Customs, (iii) the Shipment has not been released by customs due to non-payment of duty and taxes (iv) the Shipment contains prohibited items (v) shipment is refused by the consignee before opening the package.
All undeliverable Shipments will be returned to the DHL eCommerce Solutions facility for customer identification and return service preference. Shipper may be liable for any and all charges and fees incurred in returning, storing or disposing of an undeliverable shipment unless the undeliverable shipment was due to the fault of DHL eCommerce Solutions.
Optimize your shipping program with these invaluable services.
Shipment Value Protection
DHL eCommerce Solutions Shipment Value Protection provides peace of mind to you and your customer, with coverage of up to 100 USD per parcel, making it easy to protect yourself against loss or damage to goods while they are in transit.
- DHL Parcel International Direct
- DHL Parcel International Standard
- DHL Packet Plus International
Accounts, bills, bullion, currency, deeds, evidence of debt, furs, original/fine art, computer chips, loose precious/semi-precious stones, jewelry, money, notes, securities, perishable cargo, televisions, tickets, laptop computers, cellular phones, personal goods, or similar property unless endorsed in writing.
Shipment Value Protection is provided by U-PIC Insurance Services on behalf of DHL eCommerce Solutions.
Please note all claims are to be submitted by the shipper of the package. Shipper should log in to our Customer Web Portal to submit a claim. If you are the receiver, please contact us.
All claims must be filed no later than 90 calendar days from the date of shipment.
Loss - Must be filed after 21 days from the date of shipment for domestic and 45 days for international & APO/FPO shipments
Damage – Can be filed immediately
The claim process takes 7-10 business days following receipt of properly completed claim forms.