SEND GREEN WITH DHL
SEND GREEN – “sending green” - is our climate-smart option available for all domestic shipments in Sweden. The fee is SEK 5 / parcel or SEK 49 per pallet including VAT. The money goes in full to investments in more expensive climate-smart transport solutions.
For many years, we have had an ambitious agenda to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions and our dependence on fossil fuels (as defined by Fossil-Free Sweden). As early as 2008, DHL adopted a global environmental target to reduce CO2 emissions by 30% per tonne-kilometre by 2020. We reached that point in 2016. Long before the scheduled time.
Therefore, we have raised our ambitions and will reach -50 percent carbon emissions per tonne-kilometers by 2025. DHL Freight Sweden has almost achieved this and the goal now is to maintain this reduction.
SEND GREEN is produced in DHL's green vehicle fleet. To date, these vehicles have driven 31 595 081 km, corresponding to 788 laps around the earth. Or about 40 round trips to the moon.
For many years, in addition to our efforts to reduce our emissions in our network, we have also been able to offer our customers the opportunity to invest with us in climate-smart alternatives in the Swedish transport network. Together, we have put more than 200 vehicles with climate-smart alternative technology in the market. Techniques we have invested in include for example biogas, ethanol, bioDME and electricity.
The concept is simple. We sign agreements with carriers in our domestic network who want to invest in more expensive clean technologies and help them with the extra expenses this has caused. That is how our customers can choose SEND GREEN as a more eco-friendly transport alternative. When you, as a customer, choose SEND GREEN, we will produce the corresponding tonne-kilometer that your consignment generates with a more expensive climate-smart technology somewhere in our domestic network. Sending green thus contributes to a faster shift in the transport system and enables our carriers to take a risk of a more expensive climate-smart technology. As a customer, you can credit the reduction*
In order for a vehicle to qualify for SEND GREEN, it is necessary to:
- The purchase of vehicles or fuel must be more expensive than a standard transport solution. The haulage company must be able to show their additional cost for the vehicle
- The vehicle must reduce emissions of fossil climate gases >70%
- An agreement is concluded with the carrier of 3-5 years with the possibility of extension
- The carrier is paid for the tonne-kilometers produced afterwards
- Vehicles and fuel are monitored monthly
- Capacity coordination every month to ensure that we produce at least as many climate smart tonne-kilometers as the total sum of SEND GREEN ordered by our customers
- Annual audit report on the process of SEND GREEN from an independent party is published on website
* The reduction in CO2 is reported in the emissions report. The issue report is a service that can be ordered for anyone who has a customer number with us.