New Zealand's economy relies heavily on trade with exports and imports accounting for over 60% of the country's total economic activity. Both Singapore and New Zealand have a few common traits– they are both island countries that rely heavily on trade, whether it is for import or export services.
New Zealand is a strong supporter of free and open trade, and its economy is one of the most open in the world. Similarly, the Singaporean economy is recognised as one of the most open, innovative, and business-friendly across the globe. This means that exchanging commodities between these two countries is simple if customs regulations are properly adhered to.
Read this guide to understand the customs rules and shipping process to send a parcel quickly and safely from Singapore to New Zealand.
Customs guidelines for New Zealand
Tobacco & tobacco products
- All tobacco is subject to a high duty and tax rate. It is necessary to specify the number of cigarettes.
- A Heavy Metals Certificate is required for any ceramic item being imported for use, such as mugs, plates or utensils, failing which testing by the New Zealand Ministry of Health is required. The sample for testing will not be returned, and there will be a wait of at least 48 hours.
Coffee (including samples)
- Both roasted and green coffee beans must be specified on the shipping documents. Green coffee beans will be inspected by the Ministry of Primary Industries (MPI) .
- There is no de minimis for alcoholic beverages because they are subject to a high duty and tax rate.
- The percentage of alcohol in the liquid and the amount of liquid must also be stated.
- These goods are prohibited for import if the shipment contains weapons.
- It is necessary to use a scientific name.
- A phytosanitary certificate might also be required. An MPI inspection may follow if the shipment doesn’t meet the above-stated requirements.
Films: entertainment (dvd, vhs)
- They are subject to censorship screening. Expect a delay of one day.
- Lithium-Ion batteries, UN3480 that are manufactured in accordance with Packing Instruction 965 parts IB and II, are increasingly being subjected to embargos or other limitations by aircraft operators.
- Customers can expect an additional transit time of up to three days in New Zealand, depending on the destination and routing.
- Please adhere to the below restrictions for PI965 shipments travelling via Sydney to New Zealand. If the shipment exceeds the following size/weight limit, it will be returned to the sender.
a. The maximum size: H 45cm x 55cm x B 55cm
b. The maximum weight is 20 kg.
- Unaccompanied baggage and the owner's passport are required for personal effects (visa if applicable).
- In the event of non-owner clearance, the owner must also provide a letter of authorization as well as a photo identification for the non-owner.
- Please note that DHL rates are NZ$229.39 plus MPI inspection fees, whereas self-clear fees are NZ$46.89 plus MPI inspection fees, if necessary.
- MPI permit and inspection may be required.
- Bamboo things: All bamboo items, such as bamboo hampers must be inspected by MPI.
- For items made of wood, the name of the timber must be provided.
- Fees will apply if MPI inspection/fumigation is required.
Note: Shipments arriving with an overseas fumigation certificate are not acceptable, hence fumigation/cleaning/heat are performed by New Zealand MPI providers for an additional fee. Expect a delay of 3-4 weeks.
- Medsafe (Ministry of Health) authorization is required for medications.
- Private hospitals require a prescription from a New Zealand doctor.
- Controlled medications require an original licence, which might take up to two days.
Foodstuffs (including grain), medical samples, soil samples, animal products and perishables (fruits, flowers, vegetables)
- Expect delays since all these commodities are subject to inspection by the MPI.
- Honey percentages in bee products must be specified, and those with more than 2% will be subject to additional documentation. If food is deemed unsafe or unsuitable, destroy fees will apply.
- Animal Products may require an ACVM Class Determination letter or MPI certification. MPI inspection is likely to be required for food or spices. The fee is around NZ$65.
- Contact the destination prior to sending the shipment for any licenses or permit requirements.
Important notes for all Non-doc Goods
Shipping Process from Singapore to New Zealand
Your first task is to make a DHL Express air waybill. Make sure all the information on the AWB is correct in order for your shipment to have a pleasant voyage. Then, you must prepare your shipping invoice. It must be typewritten and contain a thorough description, incoterm, HS Code, unit value, total value, Country of Origin, currency, reason for export, and statistical quantities for each item, where applicable. Plus, you must also provide the receiver's full name, address, phone number, and email address on the invoice. Remember that false declaration of information will lead to customs non-compliance.
New Zealand customs will issue a client code if the value exceeds NZ$1000 for personal or business use. To avoid delays, it is recommended to include client code on the invoice, as well as the storage charges permits/certificates, if necessary.
Once you complete the paperwork, start packing your shipment. Cover the seams properly to avoid damage of the contents within your shipment. Thereafter, you can entrust your shipment to DHL Express either by calling our customer service, or through MyDHL+ or by self-lodging it to any nearby DHL store.
Advantages of using DHL Express Courier Service
- DHL has a global network that spans 220 nations and territories.
- Customers receive real-time updates on the progress of their shipments.
- DHL Express' shipping tools, such as MyDHL+, MyBill and ODD (On-Demand Delivery), make the shipping process faster, easier and safer.
- Our varied delivery choices will allow you to choose the location and time of delivery for your item.
- Our door-to-door shipping service simplifies international shipping.
If you are planning to ship any of the above-mentioned items, follow the guide to experience a smooth shipping journey. In case you wish to find more information on other goods, our Certified International Specialists are always available to help you right away.