Bangladesh and Singapore have enjoyed cordial bilateral relations over the past four decades since the formation of diplomatic relations in February 1972. Despite the COVID-19 outbreak, Singapore remains Bangladesh’s third-largest importing partner, accounting for around US$2.4 billion (S$3.23 billion) in 2020. So, if you wish to establish your trading business and are looking for ways to ship to Bangladesh from Singapore, here's all you need to know.
Bangladesh’s custom rules and procedures
Tea & foodstuffs (including grain)
- Consignee requires a pre-approved radiation certificate for any food weighing more than 2kgs, whether for personal or non-personal use.
- All inbound non-doc shipments, including gift goods are subject to heavy duty and other applicable taxes, regardless of their value and/or weight.
- Duties and taxes will be calculated based on the shipment assessment value (AV) as finalized by the customs authorities.
- Authorize your consignees for clearance of personal (individual) effects with – a) Authorization letter, b) National ID/passport photocopy and any other essential documents requested by customs.
- Customs will dispose of any shipment that is not cleared within 21 days of arrival.
Seeds & tobacco and tobacco products
- Quarantine certificate is required for these shipments.
- It is recommended to contact the destination for their licences or permits requirement prior to sending any shipment.
Drugs: in pharmacy w/o prescription
- No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the Drug Administration Department is required for non-prescribed medicine.
- A NOC from the Drug Administration is required for medicines supplied to the firm name.
- Medicine supplied to a personal name will require a prescription matching with the consignee's name from a physician and is meant for personal use only with a maximum weight of 2kgs.
- The consignee may be required to visit customs at the request of the authorities.
- To import these goods, a non-dangerous goods certificate is required.
- The consignee must present a NOC or authorization from the Director General of Defense Purchase (DGDP) at the time of clearance.
Microfiche & microfilm, films: 8mm, 16mm, 35mm
- The consignee must obtain permission from the Film Sensor Board as well as an Import VAT Registration Certificate.
Biological substance cat B, UN3373
- UN3373 and UN1845 are not open for import.
- Chemical exports to Bangladesh are limited under schedules 1, 2 and 3 (SRO No 37-LAW/2006: 323-LAW/2011).
- The shipper must ensure that the recipient is an approved enrolled member of the Bangladesh National Authority of Chemical Weapons Convention (BNACWC), Prime Minister's Office, Armed Forces Division, Dhaka Cantonment, before exporting.
- The shipper must obtain a similar registration from the relevant government in his or her country.
- Further, the shipper must provide the Chemical Abstract Service (CAS) number on the invoice. Note: Before accepting any chemical, please consult the RCG of the shipping country.
Telecommunication & communications equipment
- For customs clearance, the consignee needs approval from the BTRC (Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission) Authority.
- The required approval time is expected to take 6 -7 days.
- Ground Handling Agent will charge USD 100 equivalent for a mobile phone with battery that falls under Dangerous Goods.
Activated debit/credit/ATM card
- These goods must be declared as non-document WPX.
Please note: In Bangladesh, all WPX (non-document) shipments require 2-3 working days for clearance.
Bangladesh customs does not issue any Return to Origin (RTO) for non-doc shipments until the consignee clears the package and pays the necessary duties.
MS/MC/Redirect high-value shipments entering Bangladesh require an export authorization and a no-objection certificate from the Central Bank, which can take up to 8 weeks.
Customs will dispose of any shipment not cleared within 21 days of arrival.
Guide to ship from Singapore to Bangladesh
When you choose to ship with DHL Express, we make sure that your shipping journey encounters no hassle and reaches the receiver timely without any damage. Here is how our shipping guide will help you:
Step 1: Create a DHL Express AWB. This document outlines the ownership of the package based on the sender and recipient’s information.
Step 2: Prepare a shipping invoice. Bear in mind that you'll need an appropriate invoice to clear customs processes for your item to reach Bangladesh securely.
Step 3: Start packaging your parcel after you've filled in all the relevant details on your invoice. Keep in mind that DHL Express will not be responsible for packing your shipment; you are completely responsible for this task.
Step 4: This is the final step where you arrange for your shipment collection. It's really simple to do this — you can arrange for the item to be picked up at your leisure by selecting a specific time and day. You can also schedule a pick-up using MyDHL+ or drop it off at any DHL Express retail location.
Why should you choose DHL Express?
Choosing DHL Express as your logistics service provider will offer plenty of advantages. We'll not only make your shipping journey easier, but we'll also ensure that your shipment arrives safely at its destination by handling customs services on your behalf.
Here’s why you should choose DHL to send your parcel from Singapore to Bangladesh:
- Our customer service is available 24 hours a day and seven days a week in Bangladesh. We are here to assist our customers at all hours of the day and night.
- DHL Express has a 63% market share in Bangladesh's international air express sector.
- In Bangladesh, DHL Express owns the industry's first and only completely automated, cutting-edge conveyor and security scanning technology.
- Our services are spread across 220 countries and territories across the globe.
- DHL is the only international express business that has been approved by TAPA (Transported Asset Protection Association) in Bangladesh.
- Shipping solutions from DHL Express, such as MyDHL+, MyBill, and ODD (On-Demand Delivery), make the procedure simple and secure.
- We can make international shipping a breeze, thanks to our door-to-door shipping service.
So, does the guide contain all the items that you wish to ship from Singapore to Bangladesh? If you need more information on other items not listed above, feel free to talk to our customer service agents now.