DHL eCommerce UK (hereinafter called 'DHL') is pleased that you have visited our website and are interested in our company, products and services. It is important to us to protect your personal data during handling throughout the entire business process.
Please be aware that the national legal requirements for data protection and the handling of personal data may vary from country to country. Therefore, if you visit the relevant DHL country websites you will learn more about country specific information on data protection.
In the following, we explain what information DHL collects when you visit our website and how this information is processed and for what specific purposes.
Personal data means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person ('data subject'); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person.
This means personal data has to be information that relates to an individual. That individual must be identified or identifiable either directly from one or more identifiers or from factors specific to the individual.
This includes information such as your real name, address, telephone number and date of birth. Information which cannot be linked to your real identity - such as favourite websites or number of users of a site - is not considered personal data.
This Privacy Notice applies for the data processing carried out by: Deutsche Post AG
If you have any queries with regard to the processing of your personal data, please contact the Data Protection Officer. The Data Protection Team is also available to help with data subject access requests, take suggestions or handle complaints.
Data Protection Officer for DHL
Global Data Protection
Deutsche Post AG
Corporate Centre - 524
Data protection officer's contact details:
For enquiries relating specifically to DHL eCommerce UK, please contact the Data Protection Team at:
Written requests should be sent to:
Data Protection Officer
DHL eCommerce UK
We process your data in order, for instance, to
- Perform the contract concluded with you or a sender;
- Make visits to our websites/apps as pleasant as possible;
- Send you the newsletter if you subscribe to it;
- Send or display to you - where permitted - targeted advertising;
- Carry out a credit check, where necessary;
- Handle your requests via our customer service department;
- Fulfil obligations as part of statutory requirements;
- Fulfil our security requirements (e.g., for crime detection purposes);
- Compile statistics; and
- For the purposes of quality assurance, process optimisation and planning certainty.
- To fulfil our security requirements (e.g., for crime detection purposes including denied party screening);
Read more here.
- When a call is recorded we collect the telephone number you have called from and the recording of telephone conversations for quality and training purposes. Should we call you, we will do so from 02476 937 770. This information is processed under the legal basis of Legitimate Interest.
You can find further details below under the relevant headings, including the type of data, the purpose of processing and the legal basis.
You have the following rights:
- You have the right to be informed about the collection and use of your personal data;
- You have the right to have inaccurate personal data rectified, or completed if it is incomplete;
- You have the right to have person data erased. This right is not absolute and only applies in certain circumstances, as it must be permitted by law and in compliance with existing contractual conditions;
- You have the right to request access to your personal data; and
- You have the right to request the restriction or suppression of your personal data although this is not an absolute right and will only apply in certain circumstances.
- You may lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority. Find here the competent data protection authority.
Right to object
Article 21 of the GDPR gives individuals the right to object to the processing of their personal data. The right to object only applies in certain circumstances. Whether it applies will depend on the purposes for processing and the lawful basis for processing.
To exercise your right, simply get in touch with us by using the contact details mentioned under "Contact".
Personal data is stored for no longer than is necessary for the purposes of which the personal data is processed;
Where statutory periods do not exist, the data will be stored for contract performance and invoicing purposes and as proof of the correct performance of the contract, until the liability periods expire, and it will subsequently be erased.
Visiting Our Website
DHL is committed to preserving the privacy of the users of our websites. When you visit our web pages, our web servers always temporarily save the connection data of the computer connecting to our site, a list of the web pages that you visit within our site, the date and duration of your visit, the IP address of your device, the identification data of the type of browser and operation system used as well as the website through which you linked to our site. Additional personal information such as your name, address, telephone number or e-mail address is not collected unless you provide this data voluntarily, e.g. while completing an online contact form, as part of a registration, survey, competition, fulfilment of contract or an information request. This data is only collected and processed based on the original purpose of collection.
The legal basis for the processing of the aforementioned data categories is legitimate interests (Art. 6 (1) f of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)).
Furthermore we are using cookies, tracking-tools and targeting measures. You will find more details below under Online presence and website optimization.
As far as you have enabled geo localisation functions in your browser, respectively in your operating system we will use this data to offer you location-based services (e. g. location of the nearest branch, packing station etc.). We will not use this data for any other purpose. If you disable this function your data will be immediately deleted.
For contractual reasons, we also need personal data to provide our services and comply with the obligations arising from contractual agreements concluded with you. This data is used e. g. for performing a (shipment) contract, managing customer data, handling payments and, as the case may be, assessing credit worthiness. Certain shipment data will also be provided to the authorities of the country of transit or destination for customs and tax clearance or for security screening, as required by the laws of such country. The information provided would usually include: shipper name and address, receiver name and address, description of the goods, number of pieces, weight and value of shipment.
The legal basis is necessary for the performance of a contract (Art. 6 (1) b) GDPR).
Further information on data protection in specific services and products is available in the section Products and Services.
If you are an existing customer of DHL your postal data (e.g. name, address) will be processed to contact you in order to provide you with the latest information about our offers, news, products and services. Apart from an existing consent, we will process your e-mail address exclusively in order to provide you with information regarding DHL's own and similar products.
Legal basis for the aforementioned processing is Art. 6 (1) f) GDPR. The processing of customer data for own direct marketing purposes is regarded as carried out for a legitimate interest.
You have right to object at any time to this processing. To exercise your right, simply get in touch with us by using the contact details mentioned above under Who is responsible?.
If you register for one of our newsletters, we are entitled to use your e-mail address for this purpose. You may unsubscribe from the newsletter at any time by clicking the relevant link at the bottom of the newsletter.
In case you file an objection or unsubscribe from our newsletter services the respective data will be deleted and no longer be processed for such purposes.
To enhance and improve our customer experiences, we may share your contact details with third parties to enable you to provide feedback on the service you have received from DHL eCommerce UK. Some personal data may be shared with non-marketing third parties, this is necessary to help process orders and provide customer based services. For instance, it may be necessary to pass on your address and order data to our contractors when you order products. Further information on data protection in specific services and products is available below in section Products and Services.
External service providers that process data on our behalf are contractually obliged to maintain strict confidentiality as per Art. 28 GDPR. DHL retains responsibility for safeguarding your information in such circumstances. The service providers follow the instructions of DHL and this is guaranteed by technical and organisational measures, as well as by means of checks and controls.
In addition your data may also be passed to third parties to fulfil our security requirements (e.g., for crime detection purposes).
We use tracking software to determine how many users visit our website and how often. We do not use this software to collect individual personal data or individual IP addresses. The data is used solely in an anonymous and summarised form for statistical purposes and for developing the website.
We use the online advertising program "Google AdWords" and the conversion tracking function of Google AdWords. Google conversion tracking is an analytics service provided by Google Inc. (1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA; "Google").
There are contact forms on our website and DHL eCommerce UK LinkedIn company page that can be used to contact us via electronic means. If the user takes advantage of this option, the data entered in the form will be transmitted to us and stored.
We use the personal data you provide solely for the technical administration of the websites and to fulfil your wishes and requirements - i.e. primarily to process contracts concluded with you or your enquiries.
The processing of the personal data from the form primarily enables us to handle the contact processing. In addition, data may be processed in the course of processing a customer request.
The data will be processed primarily for the performance of the contract in accordance with Article 6 (1) b) GDPR and to safeguard legitimate interests in accordance with Article 6 (1) f) GDPR.
DHL takes all of the necessary technical and organisational security measures to protect your personal data from being lost or misused. For instance, your data is saved in a secure operating environment which is not accessible to the public. In certain cases, your personal data is encrypted by Secure Socket Layer technology (SSL) during transmission. This means that an approved encryption procedure is used for communication between your computer and the DHL servers if your browser supports SSL.
We keep our data protection statement under regular review.
Products and Services
Additional data protection information relating to shipment tracking:
Type of data Example External access to data
Sender and recipient
Name of sender
Sender and recipient Address of sender
Sender and recipient (after entering the postcode)
Name of recipient
Sender and recipient (after entering the postcode or as a looged-in and identified recipient)
Address of recipient
Name of substitute recipient, if applicable Neighbour
Sender and recipient (after entering the postcode or as a logged-in and identified recipient)
Address of substitute recipient, if applicable
Customer data of sender (EKP number, billing number)
Product name / service name (currently only in shipment tracking for business customers NOLB)
DHL Paket, DHL Paket International, COD, Bulky Goods
Sender and recipient (only for services relevant to the recipient, such as Bulky Goods and COD)
Sender and recipient
Signature of recipient (POD)
Confirmation of minimum age verification +16 / +18
Visual age check Sender
1. Purposes of data processing - essential information
We process your data in order, for instance, to
- Perform the parcel shipping contract concluded with you or a shipper;
- Display the status of a shipment or provide information via our customer service department;
- Fulfil obligations as part of statutory requirements;
- Fulfil our security requirements (e.g. for crime detection purposes);
- Compile statistics on the provision of our services; and
- For purposes of quality assurance, process optimisation and planning certainty.
2. Storage period
The data will be stored for as long as they are required. The necessity ensues either from statutory retention periods.
This privacy notice applies for the data processing carried out by DHL eCommerce UK when visiting the Universal Shipping aka ''Ship'' Website. Please see information on this page for the following....
- What is personal data
- Who is responsible
- Purposes of processing data - essential information
- What are my data subject rights
- Storage period
- Visiting our website
- Performance of contract
- Processing for advertising purposes
- Will my data be passed third parties
- Online presence and website optimisations
- Contact Forms
- How about data security
- Changes to privacy notice
- Shipment tracking
Our website contains a cookie pop up banner, which provides you the opportunity to either agree or disagree to the collection of cookies. This based on consent provided by you. The legal basis for the processing of personal data using cookies for analysis purposes is Art. 6 (1) a GDPR. You have the right to object and to opt out.
Generally, we do not create an individual profile of your online activities. The content of a persistent cookie is limited to an identification number. Name, email address, IP address, etc., are not saved on the majority of our sites. However, there are some exceptions which you can find in our cookie table below.
- 1ad1793a-c0b5-4038-8a71-3a6ddbe40230: Used for maintaining the request state.
- 3d12caf2-1646-470a-a5a4-ba8fbb510571: Used for tracking the transactions (number of authentication requests to Azure AD B2C) and the current transaction.
- 24c98575-6675-47c7-906e-cb8e6b143d7b: Cross-Site Request Forgery token used for CRSF protection.
- da92227c-8e71-47fd-9d34-101b7538fb0c: This cookie is set by websites using certain versions of the cookie law compliance solution from OneTrust. It is set after visitors have seen a cookie information notice and in some cases only when they actively close the notice down. It enables the website not to show the message more than once to a user. The cookie has a one year lifespan and contains no personal information.
- bcd71f53-c3a8-46f9-946b-7b2e640a3908: This cookie is set by the cookie compliance solution from OneTrust. It stores information about the categories of cookies the site uses and whether visitors have given or withdrawn consent for the use of each category. This enables site owners to prevent cookies in each category from being set in the users browser, when consent is not given. The cookie has a normal lifespan of one year, so that returning visitors to the site will have their preferences remembered. It contains no information that can identify the site visitor.
- 2f911a29-9790-431a-84d9-6efe9e6f7633: Used to authenticate & authorise the API calls made by the user.
- 04b8fbf4-fc0e-4376-80be-e3de9bb7e982: Used to authenticate & authorise the API calls made by the user.
- c93782a3-35f3-4af3-ae88-6ceb4dee9377: Used to authenticate & authorise the API calls made by the user.
- bf114111-907f-48b9-a3c2-6b8ee5ebf0d0: Used to authenticate & authorise the API calls made by the user.
Last updated: 26.01.2022